Everyone and anyone wants to have a website nowadays don’t they. They think that when they have a website up and running there will be people banging on their door to buy their products. Well if you are one of the lucky few to have this happen, congratulations. Buy that to the reality is that not everyone that puts up a website will make any money. So what are you to do? Well the next logical step would be to become a web hosting company right? Well I mean if everyone wants a website then they will need web hosting right? So if they need web hosting then wouldn’t it be logical to become a web hosting company to take advantage of all of these hungry customers?
Well the reality is becoming a web hosting company is a huge undertaking and shouldn’t be taken on my a mom and pop operation. Well it can but there are reseller hosting services out there that will help you accomplish that but if you are really ambitious and have the funding to back it up starting your own hosting company may be a viable option.
- So what do you need to become your own web hosting company? Well the first thing that you need to consider is what type of hosting company you want to start. There are several type of hosting company options out there. When deciding you may want to target for a select set of people or select type of sites. With lots of competition out there tailoring your hosting services to a select group may allow you to charge a higher monthly prices.
- After deciding on what type of content you will allow in your hosting company the next thing you will want to consider is if you are going to be a dedicated hosting company, shared hosting company, VPS hosting company or something else. Once you decide on that you can go into deciding on what type of hardware and software you will offer for your company.
- One major cost is the hardware that you will be using to support your hosting company. You will want to make sure that the hardware is the most up to date and fastest you can purchase. You don’t want to purchase used equipment just for the fact that it is slower and may not support new software or versions of software that are coming on within the next six month or year. You want to make sure that the hardware that you choose will last you as long as possible. You don’t want to be replacing it or repairing it.
- Once you have your hardware in place you will want to make sure you have the most up to date copy of the operating system on your machines. This is another point that you will want to look at. Are you going to be running a Linux hosting company or will you be offering a Windows based hosting solution? Another option is to offer both. Depending on what operating system you choose will determine the types of scripts and software that will run for your clients.
- Once you have the servers and the desired operating systems on the servers you will need to have a location where you are going to host your servers. At that location you will need to setup high speed data lines. These data lines can cost thousands of dollars to install and to maintain on a monthly basis. Once you get the lines installed and maintained you need to purchase the bandwidth. Bandwidth is the space and speed the data that you and your clients transmit over the internet uses. There are many different bandwidth providers. They offer different speeds and data packages so you will need to negotiate with them to get the packages that best suit your needs and the needs of your clients.As you can see this is going to be a long drawn out process. If you are someone who is not technically adept you may have issues setting this up.
- Okay, now let’s say you have gotten this far. The next thing that you will want to do is start advertising your service. But before you can do this you need to determine how many customers you need before you break even each month and at what point you will make a profit. You need to account for unforeseen situations and plan your pricing into them.
- Now you have your computers. You have the operating systems installed. You have all the accompanying software installed and your servers are humming like a champ. But what happens when something goes wrong? And you know what, something will go wrong and go wrong often. There is no guarantee what will happen. You are dealing with technology and the actions of other people and people don’t know what they are doing all the time. With this uncertainty occurs you will need someone there to fix it. What this means is you need to hire a support staff. The support staff you hire will need to deal with downed machines, compatibility issues with installed scripts and much more.
- Besides having a tech support staff you will need to hire sales people, customer service people and many more types of people to help run your hosting company.
- Starting a hosting company may sound like a good idea on the surface but there is a lot more to it than just putting up a few computers and putting together a few websites. Like any other business you need to do your research and see all the options available. You will want to keep up with all the constant changes and know what is coming down the pipe six months before it happens just to be competitive.
If you are looking to start your own hosting company I wish you all the luck in the world and be proud to give your services a honest review. My last tip for you is this, do your research and make sure you have all your ducks in a row before embarking on this endeavor. Good luck.